What items are prohibited for sending through this service?
Items classified as Dangerous Goods include:
- Explosives (eg ammunition, fireworks, igniters, flares, toy caps).
- Gases (eg aerosol cans, cigarette lighters, gas cylinders - full or empty, fire extinguishers).
- Flammable liquids and flammable solids (eg paint, alcohol (see (1) below), perfume, matches, petrol, paraffin, turpentine, solvents, cleaning fluids, nitrate products).
- Oxidising substances and organic peroxides (eg hair dye, disinfectants, fibreglass repair kits).
- Toxic (poisonous) and infectious substances.
- Radioactive materials.
- Corrosives (eg mercury - including thermometers, bleach, nail polish and remover, nitric acids, battery fluids).
Other goods that are highly magnetic, polymerizable or otherwise unsuitable for carriage (eg asbestos, dry ice, first aid kits, wet-cell batteries).Live animals, explosives, money (notes and coins) precious metals and stones, plants, hard drugs, offensive materials such as alcoholic products will not be sent using the EMS service as per Universal Postal Union regulations.
All items, irrespective of packaging, listed in the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations are not to be sent through the BotswanaPost network.